And all kinds of good fruit will soon be available. Naturally available and at farmers’ markets. Especially my favorite, watermelon. And while I love eating watermelon, sometimes I just wanna drink it. So, I do! By making this tasty concoction.
Watermelon Lemonade (also referred to as Melemonade or Lemelonade)
8 cups 1-inch pieces seedless watermelon (from about 4 ½ pounds)
1 cup fresh lemon juice
3 ½ cups water
1 cup sugar
Working in 2 batches, blend watermelon and lemon juice in a food processor or blender until smooth. Transfer to a pitcher.
Bring water and sugar to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Add the hot syrup to the pitcher with the watermelon-lemon mixture and stir. Refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours. Serve over ice, garnished with lemon wedges.
1) Normally, making simple syrup calls for equal parts water and sugar. But the watermelon is already sweet, hence the lower amount of sugar.
2) Cutting watermelon is messy work! If you have an outdoor table, I recommend using it.
3) There might be some shockingly pink foam at the top of the pitcher. Don’t sweat it, it won’t kill you.
4) The watermelon in the drink is the heaviest bit, and tends to sink to the bottom of the pitcher. Give a quick stir before pouring to mix it all up again.
5) This is GREAT with a shot of vodka. I’m just sayin’.